Monday 10 August 2020

THE SCAR

The old church was a wreck,
just bush timbers
and lime washed bags
with a few sheets of iron on the roof.

 

The only person
we ever saw there
was a drunk
with delirium tremens.

 

Karaknya and I
went there one day,
cut a mark on our thighs
with some broken bottle,
exchanged blood
and rubbed in red desert dust
up above where it would be seen –
our secret.

 

The mark has faded
over the years
but is still there.

 

Our lives
took us different ways,
to different places
and we lost each other.

 

I had always meant
to renew the friendship
some day – sometime,
but somehow never did,
even after I found where Karaknya was.

 

Perhaps I was afraid of what I might find
or just unwilling to take the risk.

 

Whatever,
Karaknya has gone now.
Just the scar
and the memory
remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment